If you can't find the information you need, you can email us at advice@planningaid.rtpi.org.uk


Certificate of Lawful Development

It is possible to obtain official confirmation that an existing or proposed use of land or buildings, or the erection of a building or  other operational development is lawful without needing planning permission. This official confirmation takes the form of a ‘Certificate of Lawful Development’ and means that enforcement action cannot be taken on the development referred to in the certificate.  You need to formally apply to your planning authority for a Certificate of Lawful Development. 

There are two types of certificate:

  • A Certificate for a Proposed Development. If you intend to carry out development and want to be sure that it does not require planning permission, you may apply for one of these certificates. Circumstances in which such a certificate could be granted are if it is “permitted development” under the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order 2015 of a change of use within the same use class in the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 is proposed.
  • A Certificate for an Existing Development. This would be granted when development had been carried out sufficiently long ago for it to be immune from enforcement action. This is four years for the erection of a building or other operational development or the use of a property as a self-contained dwelling, ten years in all other instances.

More information is available on the Planning Portal which includes  a Guidance Note on how to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development.

In making an application for a certificate it is the responsibility of the applicant to prove that  the development or use is lawful on the balance of probabilities.  The planning authority does not have to contact you to request further evidence so may refuse your application if you have not submitted sufficient evidence. It is therefore in your interests when making an application to submit as much evidence as you reasonably can. The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has produced technical guidance on how these applications should be determined which can be found in the Planning Practice Guidance.

Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk