If you can't find the information you need, you can email us at advice@planningaid.rtpi.org.uk


For a shed or other outbuilding

This will not require planning permission provided:

  • It is for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling, for example, for storage, a games room, gym or indoor swimming pool and not for a use that would take place in the main dwelling, such as a living room or bedroom;
  • the total area of ground covered by additional buildings (other than the original house) would be more than 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original house);
  • It is not forward of the principal elevation of the house;
  • It is single-storey;
  • It is not higher than
    • 4 metres if it has a dual-pitched roof, i.e. one shaped like an upside down ā€œVā€;
    • 2.5 metres if it is within 2 metres of the boundary;
    • or 3 metres in any other case;
  • The eaves are not more than 2.5 metres high;
  • It is not within the curtilage of a listed building;
  • It does not include a verandah, balcony, raised platform or microwave antenna;
  • The capacity of any container would exceed 3,500 litres;
  • If the property is in on Article 2(3) land, i.e. a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a Conservation Area, an area designated under s41(3) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the Norfolk Broads or a World Heritage Site, it is not between a side elevation of the house and a boundary and no part of the original or extended house is clad in stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles.

If the dwelling is situated in a World Heritage Site, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Norfolk Broads, there is a restriction on outbuildings, etc more than 20 metres from the dwelling. The total ground area of these may not exceed 10 sq. metres.

Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk