These comprise industrial premises being a use which cannot be carried out in any residential area without detriment to the amenity of that area by reason of noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, soot, ash, dust or grit, i.e. industrial premises which do not fall within Class A1(c).
B2 premises have the following permitted development rights:
- change of use to B1 (business).
- change of use to B8 (storage and distribution) for up to 500 sq metres
- extensions of up to 200 sq metres, but as the extension must be at least 5 metres from boundaries, these rights can only be used on larger premises. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise further on this provision.
- the installation of additional or replacement plant or machinery, the provision, rearrangement or replacement of sewers, mains, pipes, cables or other apparatus and the provision, rearrangement or replacement of private ways, private railways, sidings or conveyors, provided it would not materially affect the external appearance of the premises and provided any plant or machinery is not higher than 15 metres or the height of anything replaced, whichever is the higher.
- the provision of hard surface or the replacement of hard surface. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise on the full details of this provision.