This comprises use for all or any of the following purposes as
- an office other than within the A2 (financial and professional services) use class
- for research and development of products or processes or
- for any industrial process
In all cases being a use which can be carried out in any residential area without detriment to the amenity of that area by reason of noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, soot, ash, dust or grit.
B1 premises have the following permitted development rights:
- change of use of a property used on 30 May 2013 for B1(a) purposes (or if vacant on that day last used for that purpose) to a C3 dwelling. The change of use must be carried out by 30 May 2019 and prior approval must be sought in relation to transport and highway impacts, contamination risks and flooding risks.
- change of use to B8 (storage or distribution) for up to 500 sq metres
- change of use to a state-funded school or registered nursery
- up to 150 sq metres to change of use to A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional services) or A3 (food and drink) for a temporary two-year period. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise you on the procedures to be followed to take advantage of this provision.
- extensions of up to 200 sq metres (50 sq metres for offices), but as the extension must be at least 5 metres from boundaries, these rights can only be used on larger premises. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise further on this provision.
- the installation of additional or replacement plant or machinery, the provision, rearrangement or replacement of sewers, mains, pipes, cables or other apparatus and the provision, rearrangement or replacement of private ways, private railways, sidings or conveyors, provided it would not materially affect the external appearance of the premises and provided any plant or machinery is not higher than 15 metres or the height of anything replaced, whichever is the higher.
- the provision of hard surface or the replacement of hard surface. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise on this provision.