This comprises use for the provision of financial services or professional services (other than health or medical services) or any other services (including a betting office) which it is appropriate to provide in a shopping area, where the services are provided principally to visiting members of the public. This includes banks, building societies, estate agents, insurance brokers, etc.
A2 premises have the following permitted development rights:
- change of use of up to 150 sq metres to a dwelling (C3) and associated external alterations not enlarging the building. This provision does not apply in some areas including Article 1(5) land, i.e. land within a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a Conservation Area, an area designated under s41(3) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the Norfolk Broads or a World Heritage Site. Prior approval is required for the change of use and the alterations. The change of use can only be refused on grounds of highways and parking, flood risk and the undesirability of losing the service, provided there is a reasonable prospect of the building staying in use for this purpose.
- change of use to A1 (shops) where there is a display window at ground-floor level
- change of use to A1 and up to two flats where there is a display window at ground-floor level
- change of use to a mixed use of A2 and up to two flats
- up to 150 sq metres change of use to A1 (shops), A3 (food and drink) or B1 (business) for a temporary two-year period. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise you on the procedures to be followed to take advantage of this provision
- small extensions and other alterations and some hardstandings may not require planning permission. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise on these provisions.