If you can't find the information you need, you can email us at advice@planningaid.rtpi.org.uk


To construct a driveway / lay hardstanding

If you are forming a new vehicular access to a trunk or classified road, you will need planning permission. A classified road is any with an A, B or C number. As C road details are not put on road signs, if you live on a busy road in a town or on a country road, check with you Planning Department whether your road is “C” classified if you are in doubt.

Hardstandings such as a driveway, parking area or garden path do not generally require planning permission. The exception is if you are forming or replacing a hardstanding between the principal elevation of the house and a highway and it is more than 5 sq. metres in area. Planning permission will be required in this case unless it is porous so water drains through it or provision is made for all surface water from it to drain into your property.

Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk